Latest SMART HR Bulletin
Latest Nuts & Bolts Bulletin
Archived SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2019 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2018 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2017 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2016 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2015 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2014 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2013 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 2012 SMART HR/Finance Bulletins
- 941 Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Account Code Transfers – Form
- Account Code Transfers – Instructions
- Budgeting Manual for Budget Database
- Check Sign Form Blank
- Check Sign Form w/Executive Director, Board Chair
- Check Sign Form w/Chair, Treasurer
- Check Sign Form w/Chair, Treasurer, Clerk
- DEED Reporting
- Employee Management Module
- Federal Tax Payment Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Injuries – FROI & SRA (Updated February 2016)
- Lane Step Roll up.pdf
- Leaves & Non-Renewals
- License Import
- Mass Change Form
- New Hire File Transfer Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Online SRA Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Overtime Calculation
- Pay Detail Setup (Updated February 2016)
- Paycode Cheat Sheet (Updated February 2016)
- Payroll Checklist (Updated February 2016)
- PERA Online Reporting Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Personnel Module Manual
- Rate Tables (Updated February 2016)
- Retiree and COBRA Insurance (Updated February 2016)
- RETRO PAY (Updated February 2016)
- SMART HR Manual
- SMART HR Reports Guideline (Updated February 2016)
- STAR Reporting (Updated February 2016)
- State Tax Payment Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- Supplementals & Void Paychecks (Updated February 2016)
- Terminations – Deceased Emp – Date Last Paid Extract (Updated February 2016)
- TimeOff Training Manual
- TRA Online Reporting Instructions (Updated February 2016)
- User Authorization Form
- W2 Notification Sample Emails
- Workers Compensation Setup (Updated February 2016)
Ease of Use
- Windows Based
- Online Real Time Data Entry & Lookup
- Spreadsheet Integration
- Data Extractions
- Attachment of Supportive Documentation
- Flex/Cafeteria/Section 125 Plans
- New Hire Report
- 941 Reporting
- First Report of Injury & OSHA 300
- Viewed Online or Printed
- Exported as Spreadsheets or PDF
- Customized for Districts
- Payroll Registers
- Agency Reports
- STAR Reports
- General Ledger Reports
- Reconciliation Reports
- TimeOff Reports
- Employee Status Reports
- Employee Demographic Reports
- Employee Labels & Envelopes
- Pay Detail Information
- EDRS Reporting
SMART Human Resources (SMART HR) is structured as a series of modules that allow the district to decide what to implement to meet their needs.
Click HERE to watch a video for the new Menu in SMART
Since SMART HR is an integrated database, all users within a district must understand the uses of various data fields and ascertain that consistency is maintained across the modules. Security levels by user are established to protect confidentiality of information. A key feature of SMART HR is the “date effective” entry of data. This allows the user to record entries and changes when received, knowing they will not take effect until the date is reached. The district’s Payroll and Human Resource Departments can then work from the same database without disrupting the workflow of another area and provides a historical record of change.
This module provides the functions that are needed to track employees throughout their tenure – starting with hiring and ending with retirement or separation. All functions are grouped by “events” that allow the human resource department to manage its workflow as a by-product of its day-to-day activity. Events are provided for recording relevant employee information, from name/address changes to recording training events. Property Assignments for things such as keys, iPads and credit cards can be tracked using this module. Events can also be entered and tracked online through SMART eR. Recordkeeping associated with a Leave of Absence, Non-Renewals and Unrequested Leaves, which typically need Board approval, are handled through this module.
Events are provided for administering programs such as OSHA and workers compensation. The module automates the task of completing the Supervisor’s Report of Accident (SRA), First Report of Injury (FROI), the OSHA Form 300 log and the OSHA Form 300A Summary that is posted each year.
The Personnel Module can be used to track employees’ education, licensure, seniority, training, skills and other credentials. The system allows the district to extract and download teacher licensure data from the MDE and then import that information into the SMART HR database for local inquiry and reporting. The module will maintain licensure as required by each position in the district and will allow a district to compare an employee’s licensure and/or capabilities with the requirements of the job.
This delivers a way to manage FTE’s and daily assignments for employees outside the payroll process in an easy and effective manner. In addition to tracking bargaining units and seniority levels, SMART HR can create assignments in groups based on the UFARS account code built on the employee record. The Employee Management Module also will create Employee Contracts or Notice of Assignments which can be viewed and electronically signed in SMART eR.
Another part of this module is Permissions. It uses assignment detail to assign employees to the correct manager. The process creates a hierarchy of all employees in the district so managers only see employees they manage. In addition, it provides the ability to secure data by account code. Employees will only be able to see the specific account codes for which they are provided access to.
This module performs all the functions related to paying employees and then reporting this information to the various agencies. It performs all standard pay, deduction, board benefit and tax calculations. Payroll calculations are performed on a real-time basis with the capability to recalculate and review the payroll results as many times as necessary before any checks or reports are ever printed. The system prints the complete payroll check on plain check stock and does also provide for direct deposit with the option of on-line deposit notices through the Employee Self Service (SMART eR) feature. SMART HR integrates with Aesop and TimeClock Plus for time card processing. SMART systems also automatically transfers demographic records to Aesop and TimeClock Plus.
This allows the district to define the various types of leaves and accrual methods. Absence data is entered as time permits and is not required to be done as a part of each payroll cycle. If desired, absence information can be printed on the pay stub or direct deposit notice. TimeOff information can also be viewed on-line through SMART eR. SMART HR integrates with Aesop and TimeClock Plus for absence reporting through an export / import process.
The Benefits module assists districts with areas such as the Affordable Care Act (ACA) compliance and COBRA. Retiree and Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) Insurance is intended to address many of the recordkeeping requirements associated with the continuation of health, dental and life insurance coverage as prescribed by the COBRA law and the associated regulations. This module will generate personalized documents, track the decisions made and create accounts receivable entries.
ACA Administration offers tools to end users to assist in the compliance of Affordable Care Act (ACA) regulations. Large employer determination can be done through this module. The Measurement Period, Administrative Period and Stability Period are tracked to support the determination if an employee is eligible for insurance, should be offered insurance and assists in calculating the number of hours worked. Required reporting information is also provided.
This provides districts with the ability to create and run one or multiple scenarios for personnel budgeting. The approach takes the relevant data out of the SMART HR production database and puts it into a new budgeting database shell. The budgeting database allows the district to perform “what if” scenarios, to roll up steps and lanes, modify salary and benefit schedules and to adjust pay, benefits and distribution codes. When the results are verified, the user can ‘and run another scenario or create a budget file that transfers into SMART Finance.